Litigation: Take Civil Petition | Davis Brown legislation agency

Q: What if I am served with a civil lawsuit filed with the District Court?

A: A defendant named and properly served on a petition must submit a response to the court within 20 days of service. If you fail to respond to a petition in a timely manner, the plaintiff may initiate a default judgment against you or you may fail to admit certain allegations made in the petition.

Once a petition has been served to you, you should immediately consult an attorney to determine whether a pre-answer request should be filed in lieu of a response, to discuss what allegations (if any) to allow or deny in your response, and to Discuss whether this is appropriate positive defenses to be invoked in your response. Navigating these considerations can be difficult, so it is always a good idea to consult an attorney.

Comments are closed.